New clubhouse, 1928
100 YEARS OF HISTORY AND TRADITION
At the beginning of the 20th century, Ogden was one of the most vibrant cities in the state of Utah. As a railroad hub, the city quickly grew with new businesses and money. It didn't take long for community leaders to realize the need for a place where important personal and business relationships could be formed, as well as a place where society events of the day could be held.
For decades, Ogden Golf and Country Club has served as a landmark overlooking the city of Ogden. It has seen the city grow and develop from what was once a horse and buggy driven town to what is now a diverse city; home to a myraid of businesses, an outstanding university and a variety of cultural and recreational activities.
Celebrating its 99th year, Ogden Golf and Country Club was incorporated Oct. 31, 1914; making it the second oldest club in Utah. Originally, it was a nine-hole course and was located across the south end of Washington Boulevard, adjacent to Adams Avenue.
The course, at that time, was laid out with the first tee and hole where the 13th hole is now. The green on the first hole was a double green shared with the seventh hole. The third hole was where the 15th hole is currently located, and then you crossed Washington to the fourth hole, which is now the 11th hole. The fifth hole was from the ladies' tee now at the 18th hole and drove toward the President's Grove of pine trees. The sixth tee had an outhouse on the west side and a pond in front of the tee. The green was where the 10th green is now. The seventh hole was back across Washington and included a water hazard. The eighth and ninth holes are respectively the 17th and 12th holes today.
The original clubhouse was set on stilts and sat overlooking the gully, behind where the grounds superintendent's house is now. At its opening, the entrance to the clubhouse was off Washington, with the horse and carriage path located between the trees to the east of the current 12th fairway. The clubhouse was shared with the Ogden Gun Club, which had trap houses located off the side of the gully. One of the original trap houses is still at this location.
In the early days, three horses and a mower maintained the golf course, and a large water tank was used for watering. The first initiation fee was $100, and dues were $30 per year. Green fees were 50 cents, and a caddie earned 15 cents per game.
In the mid-1920's a fire destroyed the original clubhouse. Legend has it, a party was being held in honor of the last mortgage payment and, as fate would have it, it was from this party that the fire was started. A new clubhouse was built on the present location and a par-3, 6-hole course was added.
Over the years, Ogden Golf and Country Club has undergone many changes. The par 3 was removed and the back nine, which is currently the front nine, was added. The original ponds were removed and replaced with an outdoor swimming pool.
In the '60s, the tunnel under Washington Boulevard, connecting the course, was constructed. The clubhouse was also remodeled at about this time, and tennis courts were added.
More recent changes have included a new pro shop, ladies' locker room, a fitness center and a practice green. The clubhouse has also been given a new look, the pool has been rebuilt with a snack bar and a new grounds maintenance facility was built on the site of the original clubhouse.
Through all the changes, Ogden Golf and Country Club has remained at the center of golf and social activities for the city. Over the years, it has played host to prestigious golf tournaments such as the Utah Open and LPGA, and it has been the "place to be seen" for society events ranging from formal dances to an annual medical benefit. Ogden Golf and Country Club's history is an important part of Ogden's history, with notable city and business leaders guiding its way over the years.